While there’s an array of transport options available for traversing the island, “The Bus” stands out as one of the most affordable and accessible means, especially for those looking to visit the iconic Hanauma Bay.
Operated by the City & County of Honolulu, “The Bus” has been an integral part of Oahu’s landscape since its inception. Catering to both locals and tourists, it connects various parts of the island, ensuring that key destinations, like Hanauma Bay, are accessible to all. What makes “The Bus” a favorite among visitors? Its extensive network, punctuality, and affordability are major draws. Plus, the experience of traveling alongside locals offers a slice-of-life perspective of Hawaiian culture.
Using “The Bus” to get to Hanauma Bay is relatively simple. Here’s how:
- Start at Waikiki: Most tourists find themselves in Waikiki at some point during their Hawaiian vacation. It’s the perfect starting point.
- Locate the Bus Stop: Find the closest bus stop that services Route 22. This is the route that will take you directly to Hanauma Bay.
- Boarding the Bus: As you board, ensure you have the exact fare ready. “The Bus” system currently accepts cash, but it doesn’t provide change. Familiarize yourself with their fare system beforehand, especially if you’re considering multiple rides.
- Enjoy the Ride: The journey itself offers scenic views of Oahu’s coastline. It’s not just a ride; it’s a visual treat!
- Alight at Hanauma Bay: The driver usually announces stops, but it’s good to be aware of your surroundings. The bay is quite unmistakable, but if unsure, don’t hesitate to ask the driver or fellow passengers.
- Return Journey: After basking in Hanauma Bay’s beauty, you can catch “The Bus” from the same spot where you were dropped off for your return to Waikiki or other destinations.
The official websites of TheBus is: https://www.thebus.org/.